Thursday, October 04, 2007

African Bird Off-Course For Its Winter Destination


I went up to our villa rental on the Costa Brava, Spain yesterday, mainly just to check that everything was OK and also to show TorreMirona Golf & Spa Resort to a friend over from the UK. It was also a great excuse for lunch at one of my favourite haunts, Tamariu.

Whilst standing gazing at the spectacular view towards the Pyrenees mountains, I spotted an African Hoopoe bird sitting in our garden!

The photo above is courtesy of photo © Arkadiy Yarmolenko.

These amazing African birds spend the South African winter here in the southern and central parts of Europe before heading south again for the summer.

I think he must have been stocking up on grubs for his journey, as the weather here in Spain is decidedly Autumnal and I think he will be beginning to miss the sunshine! But how lucky was I?!

Check out this particular website for more African birds you can see on your travels to South Africa.

No comments: